Mounties Close Out Cubs

Men’s Soccer continues playoff push, dominates cubs


Daniel Gonzalez

Andrew Vazguez kicks the ball downfield to where his teammates can score on Oct. 8.

Mt. SAC’s men’s soccer team faced Los Angeles City College on the road on Oct. 8. With only seven games left before playoffs and a 7-1 record, they are looking good this year.

Paul Iniginguez kicked the game off with his first goal of the night only 6 minutes in. From there, his teammate Alex Mendez scored Mt. SAC’s second goal to make the game 2-0 just minutes later.

With this big lead in the first 11 minutes of the game, the Mounties really set the game’s tone. The cubs were not going to let the score get their spirits down and Ivan Casdtrejon responded with the only LACC goal in the first half of the game. Mt. SAC returned the favor and scored again in the first half to make the score 3-1.

Tensions were high in the second half of the game. Both teams played a great game, but it was the Cubs who scored the first goal in the second half, shortening the lead to 3-2.

As the tension started to get to the players, tempers started to boil. It started when one of the LACC players tried for a side field goal. A Cubs player ran into a stopped Mountie before their teammate also accidently ran into another Mountie while he was on the ground.

This led to both teams exchanging some words and several teammates trying to calm down their fellow players before it escalated. Fortunately, no altercations occurred and LACC would miss their shot on target.

Mt. SAC’s Andrew Vazquez was able to score the final goal of the game by passing through the defenders’ line and getting behind the goalie with a walk in goal. Their goalie could not get to him and had no chance to stop him from scoring.

After this score, the Mounties ran down the clock in order to keep their lead over LACC. Passes and sidekicks took longer with great plays to keep the clock running. There were lots of close shots on target as LACC was playing very good offense, but the Mounties maintained pressure to end the game 4-2.

Their next game is scheduled at home against the El Camino Warriors on Oct. 12 at 5 p.m.